|“||They call me the love whisperer!||”|
— Dez, several episodes
Dez (first name possibly short for Dezmond, last name currently unknown)
Dezy-Cakes (by Mindy)
|Date of Birth||
1996 (age 17)
Dez is a 17-year old aspiring director who films everything that he possibly can. He filmed his best friend Austin singing Ally's song, Double Take, and posted it online which made Austin an overnight internet sensation. Dez easily annoys Trish a lot, but he never knows what he does wrong, and the two are currently frenemies. He has shown that he may have feelings for her in some episodes, as he is always nice to Trish, despite that, she is often mean to him. He also filmed the short horror/adventure/drama/action/thriller, Claws Dun Dun Dun. Dez also has a talent for tap-dancing, as shown in Soups & Stars, Backups & Breakups, and Parents & Punishments. He also keeps his word and never breaks a promise as shown in multiple episodes such as MyTAB & My Pet and Bloggers & Butterflies. He seems to be perceptive of people's emotions, as seen in Albums & Auditions. He had always dreamed of becoming a famous director, and he always tries his best to help Austin out with his career, while also getting further in his own during the progress. Dez ships Auslly, as he has made 500 "Team Ally" shirts in the past (Chapters & Choices & Partners & Parachutes). Dez's last name has still not been revealed.
He is portrayed by Calum Worthy.
Dez is funny, random and quirky. His weird habit of pulling anything and everything out of his backpack amuses his friends. Dez is a really funny boy, random, crazy, awkward, sometimes disgusting, clumsy, honorable, silly and is a bit of a goofball. He is wise at times, but is mostly seen to be rather stupid and ignorant. He is Austin’s best friend, and he also directs Austin's music videos. His weird habit of pulling random objects out of his backpack (like a ham, a turtle, an Abraham Lincoln ice-sculpture or jam, etc.) amuses his friends. He really is one-of-a-kind. He has red hair, and often notices when people or things look different, but he can never figure out what has changed. He can eat things that would be considered gross or inedible to most people. In other words, he is mostly in his "own little world." He also seems to be "easy going" sometimes, but he can also be sensitive. He is also shown to be very strong, as shown in World Records & Work Wreckers, when he can spin a basketball, hold three boxes and a birthday cake, at the same time. He is brutally honest whether characters ask him for his opinion or not. He also stated once that he never breaks a promise in Bloggers & Butterflies when he ended up giving real pictures of Austin to Miami H8ter Girl. In many moments especially in Season 1, he was very wacky and slow to understand things. In Albums & Auditions, he was at an all-time high with intelligence; he figured out M.U.N.Y.'s meaning before Trish and Austin, and he understood how Ally was feeling. From that episode onto Season 2, Dez seems to have matured and gotten smarter.
While trying to play a harmonica through a sousaphone, the harmonica gets stuck in an old lady on the other side of the room, but Dez is able to perform the Heimlich maneuver on her. When Austin is apologizing to Ally, Dez says that he has attempted to "text the dog", an example of his craziness. Later, Dez records a music video of Austin singing a song Ally wrote. He's a good friend to Ally, Trish and Austin.
Dez, along with Trish, gather props for Austin's music video, but they misinterpret the writing Ally wrote down. Dez thinks that she wrote "I like it when you kangaroo" and orders a kangaroo. He later gets into a game of tug-of-war with the kangaroo over a jacket, which ends up in a large container filled with caramel. Dez explains that he didn't know whether some other lyrics said "camel" or "caramel," and just got both. When the practice room's door opens as a person comes in to deliver the camel, Dez quickly closes it. Afterwards, when Face Puncher comes to get his jacket, Dez autographs his shirt with ketchup assuming he wanted one, and Face Puncher begins to chase him.
Dez finds Ally's songbook and diary in the fridge, having used it as a roof for his gingerbread house. Then Dez and Austin come up with ways to read it, even thinking of putting it on the ceiling using kinds of jam. Austin thinks there won't be time to go to the store, but Dez already has multiple jams in his backpack. When they don't go with the ceiling plan, Dez eats all of the jam, saying he can't believe he did. Dez is later revealed to either be a terrible liar or scared of telling Ally and Trish that he and Austin read Ally's diary.Austin and Ally get to know each other better, Dez and Trish find out they too have more in common than they thought; having the same favorite number, and horror movie in common, and decide to become friends. However, when they disagree on a favorite pizza topping, they go back to "not being friends".
Dez and Trish get a job at Pirate Frank's Fish Fry, where Dez has an obsession with deep frying objects (his shoes, Trish's purse, Trish's cell phone), and later the entire restaurant in order for he and Trish to get fired. He is the one that gave Tilly Thompson, the evil blogger posting bad stuff about Austin, pictures to use for her site because her promised to broing them and never breaks a promise, but also the one to catch her when tries to run away dressed as a catfish. He accidentally gave Tilly Thompson an idea to use Ally's stage fright to embarrass herself.
Demonica Dixon wants to replace "Team Austin" with her own director and songwriter, and he is the one to suggest his favorite director, Spike Stevens, to replace him as the director or Austin's videos, which Demonica does. Dez takes being replaced the hardest, and is the second to be replaced in "Team Austin".
Trish is having a Quinceanera (Mexican party celebrating a girl's 15th birthday), and he suggests a couple grand entrances for Trish (which she refuses), and a grand entrance for Austin (swinging in on a jungle vine). After seeing Trish's poofy dress, he too mistakenly wears a poofy suit to the party (he being the only one, not including Trish). But later he uses the poofy pants to put shrimp in. He is also the one to ruin Trish's party by swinging in on a jungle vine himself, knocking over the table full of presents, and ruining the stereo station.
Dez and Austin try to get into the Book of World Records by seeing how long they can spin a basketball on their fingers. When the girls reveal only one can get their names in the book, they compete to see who will get in, even beginning to fight over the title, trying to get the other to drop the ball. They both end up forfeiting for the other to win.
Dez is hired to film commercials for some stores in the mall, and after Ally mistakenly ruins Ms. Suzy's Soups by posting her "Spider Noodle Soup" picture on Tweeter, Ally has him make a commercial but Ally becomes obsessive over it, and ends up in a giant bowl of soup. Dez re-edits the commercial he, Austin and Trish shot and posted it on her Tweeter, saving Ms. Suzy's Soups. He calls himself her BFF - "Best Freckled Friend".
It is revealed that a mean girl, Mindy, has a massive crush on Dez and bullies him into dating her. When Austin accidentally lets Ally's pet bird, Owen, out of his cage, Austin, Dez and Trish come up with ways to try and get Owen back without Ally knowing. Meanwhile, Ally gets booted to the back of the long line for the new myTABs, and Dez fakes being a TechTown employee, tricking the people in line to find a golden horseshoe hidden in the mall to win a free myTAB. When that doesn't work, they fake a hail storm, Dez using cheese balls when he can't find "golf ball-sized hail".
Dez films his first big movie,Claws (Dun Dun Dun), and hires Trish as Girl #2, Austin as Troy the Lifeguard and Ally as the cute songwriter after he couldn't get Selena Gomez. After she declines, he rewrites the part so Austin saves a pretty girl from drowning, Mildred. The scene calls for Austin laying the girl in the sand under an umbrella and giving her mouth to mouth, but because of Austin's childhood fear of umbrellas, he says he can't do it. Dez suspected that Austin has caught stage fright from Ally after Austin told him he can't do his movie. Austin later conquers his fear and Dez finishes his movie, praising his work and revealing he had always known of Austin's fear. Since Dez is Austin's best friend, he knows all of Austin's secrets without him knowing. He had not used Ally's props, kept changing Trish's scenes, and put umbrellas all over the set of the movie (to scare Austin), to get true emotions out of people.
Mindy is a new manager at Melody Diner, she was first shown in myTAB & My Pet. She tricks Dez into falling for her by giving him some of the Melody Diner's famous Cha-Cha Chicken Pot Pie. Dez figures out that the Cha-Cha Pie had starting taking over his life. He refused to eat anymore; then again, Mindy tricked Dez with the famous egg salad. In this episode it is shown that Dez can sing. Whenever he likes something he sings, "Me likey!"
Dez learns about that the famous alligator in the Everglades named "Big Mama" that has never been filmed on tape. Dez decided to go looking for Big Mama with Trish. He finds a small alligator that he names "Baby Gator". Baby Gator follows Dez to the house boat because he had chicken and steak in his pants to keep his pants cool after the power outage. A larger alligator shows up and scares everyone. Dez figures out it's Big Mama, and tries to film her, but fails. At the end, Dez shows everyone the film he had made for film class. Trish found out that it was a monster movie about her, and she loved it. Trish and Dez shared their first hug in this episode. The hug made Austin and Ally walk away in fright.
Dez, along with Trish and Austin, audition Ally for MUNY by editing footage of Dez's piano lesson with Ally and sending it to the online auditions. Dez is the only person who knows that the music school Ally was accepted to is in New York. Also, when Austin's album came out he stood in line, handed out every CD and said, "Put this one out to Dez, this one out to Dez, etc."
Dez dresses as Austin Moon for his Halloween costume.
Ally thinks that he and Trish were dating. He auditioned to be Austin's back up dancer by tap dancing, but he was also judging the auditions for Austin's backup dancer.
Dez jumped off of the bridge along with Austin, Ally and Trish.
He originally gave Trent information on how to make a video like Double Take, but he came up with a plan to trick and get revenge on Trent. Dez helped create the cologne which was used by Trent, which caused him to be swarmed by bees. Despite Austin and Trent being rivals, Dez found a small friendship with Dex, who was supposed to be him when Trent was impersonating Austin's life.
He traveled with Austin, Ally, and Trish to New York for Austin to perform on Times Square. Later in the episode, the gang along with Jessie and the Ross kids watch a movie in the screening room in the Ross Penthouse and Mrs. Kippling is acting romantic with Dez. Later when the Ross family is in Miami, Dez and Kippling do a bunch of stuff together. It is later revealed in the episode that Dez had a pet rat from New York City, which is the only reason that Mrs. Kippling was hanging out with him. She attacks him one minute later.
He comes up with an idea for the next Austin music video: a love story. But when he casts Kira (a girl with terrible breath) as Austin's girlfriend, things go terribly wrong. Despite Austin's begging in the beginning, he refuses to replace and re-cast Kira.
Dez directed a #1 video which was No Ordinary Day. It's revealed that he enjoys wrestling. He is the one to inform Ally and Trish that they planned for the park date wrong since he's seen Kira's mySpace page. He helped create a distraction while Ally and Trish tried to swap the baskets. At the end of the episode, he's seen watching the silent romantic movie while the sprinklers are going on.I Think About You" to each other leaving weird looks on the now-official couple of Austin and Ally.
After using the typewriter, Dez buys at the antique shop Trish works at, he figures out that the typewriter possesses magical powers. While he is working on the short story, he encounters his rival, Chuck, and accidentally reveals to the latter boy that the typewriter is unlike any other. Chuck then steals the typewriter, to which Dez and the rest of the gang experience strange ordeals - his fingernails grow super long, his churros always end up turning into sticks, he swaps bodies with Austin, he swaps bodies with Ally, and his head is turned around. After he confronts Chuck, Chuck reveals that the only reason he still holds a grudge is due to the fact that Dez stole his original look. Dez refuses to apologize to Chuck, and he inadvertently gives Chuck ideas to use against the gang. After Chuck retreats to get away from the car that crashes into Sonic Boom, Dez and Chuck battle for possession of the typewriter. Dez wins, and he shrinks Chuck to prevent Chuck from doing such actions again. At the end, it is revealed that the majority of the episode is actually Dez's short story. When he is retelling the Mini's worker the story, he reveals that next week, he is competing in the cake baking contest. Chuck is in it too, and the two once more have a pun battle- unlike the first one, where Chuck won, Dez wins this one.
He was first seen when he ran into Sonic Boom, holding the movie poster for Zaliens 8 My Brains. He then said that he and Trish had decided to team up for a contest that, if won, would mean witnessing an exclusive premiere of Zaliens 8. And for the majority of the episode, he simply worked on the contest entry. Although, at one point, he left the scene to go to his cousin's wedding... while still dressed as a zalien in a tie. He and Trish, near the end of the episode, tried to go to the meeting between Austin, Ally, and the director of Butch & Bitey to try to make sure that the Butch and Bitey dolls did not go off and explode, releasing goo. They arrived just a moment too late, however. At the very end of the episode, it is revealed that he and Trish won the contest!Chuck, returned in this episode as his main competition for the prize. Dez, however, had confidence in taking home the 1st place medal due to the "Your Mommy" spice that would make his chili super-hot. Nelson appeared to be the chili taste-tester for Dez. After Nelson considered the chili not hot with only a spoonful of the spice, Dez dumped the entire batch of the spice into it, which made Nelson run home, crying for his mom. After Ally and Trish came back, Dez lied to everyone at the cook-off and told them that there would be a $1000 prize for whoever first found the necklace. After he spotted the only remaining bowl of chili (with the necklace too), he and Chuck fought for possession of the chili bowl. Dez got to it, which meant that he got Ally's necklace back AND won the chili competition by default.
In this episode, Dez fell head over heels in love with Glamour Kitty, one of Ally's co-workers during her time as a Stray Kitty. He purposely dressed in a tuxedo and bought her expensive gifts since he thought that being glamorous would make Glamour Kitty fall in love with him. At the end, however, it is revealed that the actress that plays Glamour Kitty is not like that at all--she dresses in weird clothes and enjoys Zaliens movies--and she tells Dez that they wouldn't work since they're from two different worlds. Dez doesn't take that for an answer, though--he chases after Glamour Kitty's actress, begging her to wait.
In this episode, Dez becomes an honorary member of the Pioneer Rangers troop that Trish leads; he wants to earn the merit badges that he never earned as a child after he bathed in a bird bath. He also gives Austin the inspiration for his (terrible) song; Dez shows Austin the motto for the Pioneer Rangers. He is the first one to notice the big bear at the interview/camp-out.Jimmy Starr an alpaca; both times, he fails. The Ally Way. Meanwhile, he attempts to relax with Austin since Austin's week is not busy.
In this episode, Dez, along with Trish, are dedicated fans of the TV show Crime & Judgement. They watch all 182 episodes in 4 days. His briefcase is swapped with Val's. He, along with Trish, try to figure out who the song Steal Your Heart is about; he has evidence to suggest that it could have been Kira, the model, or Brooke.
In this episode, it is revealed that Dez's dad is an inventor since Austin and Dez walked in wearing a creation from his dad, called napshirts. He took Austin with him to the International Invention Convention, where Austin found the Tune Pro 3000. Dez was part of Austin's dream as well as the plot to bring the present to the future.Chuck, his enemy, makes the squad as well, he and his foe both fight for a special position.
In this episode, Austin gets Dez his own decked ride. After that, he and Austin try to restyle Jackson Lowe. Jackson then left and took Dez's cart with him.Successes & Setbacks). When Austin and Ally get into a fight, he and Trish plan for them to shoot the scene where they sing You Can Come to Me so that they make up. Their plan succeeds.
In Road Trips & Reunions, Dez encourages Ally, along with Trish and Austin, to come join the rest of the tour. He and Trish meet up with Ally eventually, but then get into the problem of having the whole team reunited together. During all this, Dez finds his favorite snacks at the rest stop - Crunchkins, and at the airport - Flamos. It is revealed by the end that he calls Austin Little Golden Toes, and he is very happy that Ally is staying with them.
While Austin is out getting breakfast burritos, Dez in the imagination sequence is shown to have no friends whatsoever, and willing to make one. All he usually did is go around filming the people around him with his camera. When he meets Ally and Trish, he becomes their friend, though Trish makes him his personal assistant. By the end, Dez kisses Trish when she has no one else except for him. But the imagination sequence ends when that happens for it is a nightmare for Austin, Trish, and Dez. Dez says that having Trish kiss him wasn't the worst thing in the world, but giving up directing was before Austin comes back, to which Dez goes outside to play banjo badminton with.
Best Friend/Practically Brothers
- Main article: Daustin
Austin and Dez are best friends. Dez has also directed Austin's videos, and right now is his director. Dez and Austin hang out a lot. They have been through everything, thick and thin. In Tickets & Trashbags, it's mentioned that Dez would often give Austin his pants in tough situations. They act practically like brothers. In Freaky Friday & Fiction, Dez gets trapped in Austin's body after aquiring a magic typewriter.
Best Freckled Friend
- Main article: Delly
Dez and Ally aren't seen hanging out much but are sometimes seen to be interacting. They seem to be really good friends. In Soups & Stars, he tells Ally he is her BFF - "Best Freckled Friend." In Campers & Complications Dez begs Ally to hang out with him when Austin is too busy hanging out with Kira. He is on "Team Ally" (even makes 500 shirts)meaning that he wants Austin and her to be together, which eventually happens.
- Main article: Trez
Trish and Dez seem to be frenemies, but are still somewhat friends. They are both big fans of the Zalien series. They don't interact well with each other, as Trish is very mean to Dez, and Dez is a bit scared of Trish. They might secretly have feelings for each other.
Mindy seems to have a big crush on Dez, but Dez doesn't seem to return the feelings. Dez also seems to be afraid of Mindy.
Dez showed love towards Glamour Kitty in the episode Solos & Stray Kitties.
- Main article: Derrie
Dez met Carrie at Shredder's Beach Club, where she worked as a waitress in the episode Cupids & Cuties. They find out the common interests, like their love for horror movies and that they are called some type of "love ___" by their friends. By the end of the same episode, they had gone out on one date and they become a couple.
- Dez refers to himself as the "Love Whisperer" and talks to Austin when he's in distress about girl problems. (Diners & Daters, Partners & Parachutes, Freaky Friday & Fan Fiction)
- When Dez was younger, he thought his teachers called him "D+" but that was his grade on all of his tests.
- Dez revealed that he is an Auslly shipper. (Chapters & Choices)
- Dez has wanted to make the film Claws Dun Dun Dun since he was in fourth grade. (Filmmaking & Fear Breaking)
- Dez is called "Dez-aster" by Chuck, which means "disaster" in Freaky Friday & Fiction
- Dez says he's persuasive. (Girlfriends & Girl Friends)
- Dez likes to think of gingerbread men as his family. (Secrets & Songbooks)
- Whenever Lester and Jimmy Starr call their daughters "sweetie" Dez always thinks they are referring to him.
- He is the only main character whose last name has not been revealed yet.
- He is also one of the only main characters who's parents were never revealed on screen until Family & Feuds.
- He thinks that everyone calls him the "Love Whisperer".
- Dez has over 500 team Ally shirts.
- Dez gave himself a brain freeze in World Records & Work Wreckers thinking it was a world record he could beat but instead gave himself a major brain freeze.
- Dez isn't good at staring contests, he even admitted himself that he stinks at them in World Records & Work Wreckers.
- He is a very good chef. Austin considers him to have "mad cooking skills" (Spas & Spices).
- He has a knack for spicy foods. In Secrets & Songbooks, he offers Volcano Peppers, to help Austin sweat more profusely in his efforts to ward of the presumed affections of Ally. In Spas & Spices, he uses "Your Mommy" peppers in his chili recipe during the chili cook-off. During the Full Moon Tour in "Road Trips & Reunions" he buys a bag of spicy snacks named "Sizzling Flame-O's" which prove to be too hot even for him.
- He is a big fan of the rapper Shiny Money. He even carries a poster of him in his wallet.
- As of the most recent episode he has been obsessed with the following:
- Zaliens Films (except for Zaliens 6, Zaliens & Cloud Watchers).
- Shiny Money (Tickets & Trashbags and Everglades & Allygators).
- Deep-frying everything at Pirate Frank's Fish Fry (Bloggers & Butterflies).
- Large props (Soups & Stars).
- Cha Cha Chicken-Pot-Pie (Diners & Daters).
- Egg Salad (Diners & Daters).
- Fondu (Big Dreams & Big Apples).
- Romance Movies (Backups & Breakups) and (Girlfriends & Girl Friends).
- Zombie romance movies (Cupids & Cuties)
- Ever since he was a kid, whenever Austin was in trouble, he would always give him his pants even if there was no need to do that.
- Dez wanted to ask Selena Gomez to be in his film Claws Dun Dun Dun as Sally but asked Ally instead since Selena couldn't make it (Filmmaking & Fear Breaking).
- He can sometimes be very smart, as shown in Albums & Auditions when he told Trish and Austin that they were only angry at Ally because they didn't want her to leave.
- He is the tallest of the four main characters.
- He can spin a basketball on a single finger for a very long time (World Records & Work Wreckers).
- He can tap-dance (Parents & Punishments).
- He has a starfish phone in his bedroom (Songwriting & Starfish).
- He likes all the Zaliens movies except for part 6 in which his opinion "I wish I could forget that," (Zaliens & Cloud Watchers).
- In the flash-back of the episode Filmmaking & Fear Breaking, we find out that he always wanted to direct Claws: Dun Dun Dun, ever since he was a kid.
- He has a Tweeter account (Soups & Stars).
- He considers himself a great director, as seen in the episode Filmmaking & Fear Breaking, because he knows how to play with people's emotions.
- Dez has sensitive elbows, as shown in Tickets & Trashbags.
- When he knows something, but isn't telling, he says "uh" five times as shown in Backups & Breakups when Austin classified his five "uhs" as knowing something about Trish's recent behaivor.
- He thinks zebras are fake, and he has told Austin they aren't real (Big Dreams & Big Apples).
- It is revealed in Girlfriends & Girl Friends that he has a large television in his basement.
- He loves romance movies (first mentioned in Backups & Breakups), and cries during them, as seen in Girlfriends & Girl Friends.
- He hates the sound of megaphone police sirens (Tickets & Trashbags).
- It is shown in Rockers & Writers, that he knows the Heimlich maneuver.
- In Diners & Daters, it is revealed that he is a good singer.
- He doesn't know what a meerkat is.
- He has a dog and he texts his dog (Rockers & Writers).
- Chuck McCoy, in season 2, is revealed to be Dez's biggest rival and throughout the series the two clash.
- In Freaky Friday & Fiction and Spas & Spices, Chuck calls him Dez-Perrado, but it's a pun of Desperado, so it's not Dez's actual last name.
- Dez is shown to have a crush for the first time in Solos & Stray Kitties, when he crushes on Glamour Kitty.
- He doesn't know the order of the alphabet as shown in Boy Songs & Badges.
- He earned the music, recycling, architecture, and life-caving badge as a Pioneer Ranger (Boy Songs & Badges).
- Dez's favorite rock star is Jackson Lowe (Beach Bums & Bling).
- Dez has a sister named Didi.
- Dez makes amends with Chuck in Family & Feuds although they still clash in later episodes.
- He made a movie about Austin and Ally's friendship in Real Life & Reel Life.
- In Fresh Starts & Farewells Dez, with the study help of Austin, scored a 94 on his biology test, which was higher than Ally, surprising her and Jimmy.
- In Family & Feuds, his father was about to reveal their surname, Dez intentionally cut him off.
- Dez is found to like the cereals, Crunchkins and Flameos, as shown in Road Trips & Reunions.
- He received a gold medal from the president of the United States in Presidents & Problems.
- In Mix Ups & Mistletoes, it seems that he believes in Santa Claus.
- According to the Austin & Ally writers, his last name will be revealed in Season 3. 
- He thinks that fat suits are cool. (Mix Ups & Mistletoes).
- He has a #1 T-shirt (given to him by Chuck in Mix Ups & Mistletoes).
- He can play the saxophone, as seen in Mix Ups & Mistletoes.
- He can frost a cake very well.
- Dez got a girlfriend named Carrie for the first time in Cupids & Cuties.
- He and Austin's favorite comic book is "The Galactic Adventures of the Electric Avengers". (Critics & Confidence)
- He can be clever if he wants, as was revealed in Fresh Starts & Farewells when he got a better mark than Ally on the exam.
If you think about it, not having a surprise, is a surprise.
I'm Dez... Just Dez.
You wanna know what my dad said to me? DEZ! STOP TEXTING THE DOG!
Yeah, that look says a lot of words I can't put in the movie, it's a family film.
That's why they call me *whispers* 'The love whisper'.
(To Austin) I think it's more than that buddy. I think you're in love with her.
| To view the Dez gallery, click here.