|“||(in a high pitched tone) But, I like purple!||”|
— Dez, in Seniors & Señors
Dezmond Hatfield Wade
Dezzy-Cakes (by Mindy)
|Date of Birth||
January 28 1996
Dennis Wade (father)
Dezmond Hatfield "Dez" Wade is one of the main characters on Austin & Ally. He is an aspiring director who films everything that he possibly can. He filmed his best friend Austin singing Ally's song, Double Take, and posted it online, which made Austin an overnight Internet sensation. Dez easily annoys Trish a lot, but he never knows what he does wrong, and the two are currently friends, due to them becoming a lot closer in Season 4. He has shown that he may have feelings for her in some episodes, as he is always nice to Trish. He also filmed a short horror/adventure/drama/action/thriller, Claws Dun Dun Dun. Dez also has a talent for tap-dancing, as shown in Soups & Stars, Backups & Breakups, and Parents & Punishments. He also keeps his word and never breaks a promise, as shown in multiple episodes such as MyTAB & My Pet and Bloggers & Butterflies. He seems to be perceptive of people's emotions, as seen in Albums & Auditions. He had always dreamed of becoming a famous director, and he always tries his best to help Austin out with his career, while also getting further in his own during the progress. Dez ships Auslly, as he has made 500 "Team Ally" shirts in the past (Chapters & Choices & Partners & Parachutes). Dez's last name was revealed to be Wade in the episode Fanatics & Favors. His first name "Dezmond" was fully revealed in Horror Stories & Halloween Scares. Finally, his middle name "Hatfield" was revealed in the Season 4 episode, Mattress Stores & Music Factories.
Dez is portrayed by Calum Worthy.
Dez is funny, random and quirky. He is a really funny boy, random, crazy, awkward, sometimes disgusting, clumsy, honorable, silly and is a bit of a goofball. He is wise at times, but is mostly seen to be rather stupid and ignorant.
His weird habit of pulling random objects out of his backpack (like a ham, a turtle, an Abraham Lincoln ice-sculpture, jam, etc.) amuses his friends.
He is mostly in his "own little world." He also seems to be "easy going" sometimes, but he can also be very sensitive. He is also shown to be very strong, as shown in World Records & Work Wreckers, when he can spin a basketball, hold three boxes and a birthday cake, at the same time (he wanted a wedding cake but there wasn't one). He is brutally honest whether characters ask him for his opinion or not. He also stated once that he never breaks a promise in Bloggers & Butterflies, when he ended up giving real pictures of Austin to Miami H8ter Girl.
In many moments especially in Season 1, he was very wacky and slow to understand things. In Albums & Auditions, he was at an all-time high with intelligence; he figured out M.U.N.Y.'s meaning before Trish and Austin, and he understood how Ally was feeling. From that episode onto Season 2, Dez seems to have matured and gotten smarter. It is know that his original dream job was to be a brain surgeon as seen in Directors & Divas and has been shown with various animals (Kangaroos & Chaos,Tracks & Troubles, What If's & Where's Austin, Princesses & Prizes, and Cupids & Cuties).
Not much is known about Dez's background. He was born to Donna and Dennis Wade in 1996, possibly in Miami. He also has a sister named Didi and some grandmas. Therefore, he has a very big family. It was also revealed in the Season 3 episode, Fanatics & Favors, that Dez is also related to NBA superstar, Dwyane Wade, through marriage.
Dez and Austin have been best friends for a long time, and went to the same school since they were very young.
Dez has short red hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. He has freckles on his face and is always smiling. He dresses in a weird and creative way. His clothes are very crazy combined and colorful with different random patterns. He usually wears normal shoes, but, in the episode "Secrets & Songbooks", he was actually wearing clown shoes. He sometimes like to dress as a director, especially when making movies. Dez wears suspenders, too. He seems to dress a bit more mature in Season 3.
- Main article: Daustin
Austin and Dez are best friends. Dez has also directed Austin's videos, and right now is his director. Dez and Austin hang out a lot. They have been through everything, thick and thin. In Tickets & Trashbags, it's mentioned that Dez would often give Austin his pants in tough situations. They act practically like brothers. In Freaky Friends & Fan Fiction, Dez gets trapped in Austin's body after acquiring a magical typewriter.
- Main article: Delly
Dez and Ally aren't seen hanging out much but are sometimes seen to be interacting. They seem to be really good friends. In Soups & Stars, he tells Ally he is her BFF - "Best Freckled Friend." In Campers & Complications, Dez begs Ally to hang out with him when Austin is too busy hanging out with Kira. He is on "Team Ally" (he even makes 500 shirts) meaning that he wants Austin and her to be together, which eventually happens.
- Main article: Trez
Trish and Dez seem to be frenemies, but are still somewhat friends. They are both big fans of the Zalien series. They don't interact well with each other, as Trish is very mean to Dez, and Dez is a bit scared of Trish. They might secretly have feelings for each other.
They are shown to be good friends, and like hanging out together with their friends. Dez often answers Jace's video chat's, and talk a lot together.
Dez and Didi seem to be pretty close as they are siblings.
Dez showed love towards Glamour Kitty in the episode Solos & Stray Kitties.
- Main article: Darrie
Dez met Carrie at Shredder's Beach Club, where she worked as a waitress in the episode Cupids & Cuties. They find out the common interests, like their love for horror movies and that they both think they're called some type of "love ___", but in reality, they are the only ones that call themselves that. By the end of the same episode, they had gone out on one date and they become a couple. They went to prom together in Proms & Promises and in Last Dances & Last Chances. In Buzzcuts & Beginnings, it was revealed that Carrie broke up with Dez a month prior to the episode. In Wedding Bells & Wacky Birds, it was revealed that they never actually broke up.
Margo - Margo bullied Trish in Beauties and Bullies, Dez was mad and later got revenge on Margo by putting a skunk in her face alongside Carrie.
- Dez refers to himself as the "Love Whisperer" and talks to Austin when he's in distress about girl problems (Diners & Daters, Partners & Parachutes, Freaky Friday & Fan Fiction, Cupids & Cuties).
- When Dez was younger, he thought his teachers called him "D+" but that was his grade on all of his tests.
- Like Trish, Dez is an Auslly shipper (Chapters & Choices and Partners & Parachutes)
- Dez has wanted to make the film Claws Dun Dun Dun since he was in fourth grade (Filmmaking & Fear Breaking).
- Dez is called "Dezaster" (a pun on 'disaster') by Chuck in Freaky Friends & Fan Fiction.
- Dez says he's persuasive (Girlfriends & Girl Friends).
- Dez likes to think of gingerbread men as his family (Secrets & Songbooks).
- Whenever Lester and Jimmy Starr call their daughters "sweetie" Dez always thinks they are referring to him.
- He is the only main character whose last name was revealed later into the series.
- He is also one of the only main characters whose parents were never revealed on screen until Family & Feuds.
- He thinks that everyone calls him the "Love Whisperer".
- Dez has over 500 team Ally shirts.
- Dez has tried to break a few world records, but to no avail, as shown in World Records & Work Wreckers.
- In turn, he once gave himself brain freeze thinking there was a record for that when there wasn't.
- He also isn't good at staring contests, and even admitted to this himself.
- He is a very good chef. Austin considers him to have "mad cooking skills" (Spas & Spices).
- He has a knack for spicy foods. In Secrets & Songbooks, he offers Volcano Peppers, to help Austin sweat more profusely in his efforts to ward of the presumed affections of Ally. In Spas & Spices, he uses "Your Mommy" peppers in his chili recipe during the chili cook-off. During the Full Moon Tour in "Road Trips & Reunions" he buys a bag of spicy snacks named "Sizzling Flame-O's" which prove to be too hot even for him.
- He is a big fan of the rapper Shiny Money. He even carries a poster of him in his wallet.
- Dez tends to be obsessed with things, such as:
- Zaliens films, with the exception of Zaliens 6 (Zaliens & Cloud Watchers, Couples & Careers, and Eggs & Extraterrestrials)
- Shiny Money (Tickets & Trashbags and Everglades & Allygators).
- Deep-frying everything at Pirate Frank's Fish Fry (Bloggers & Butterflies).
- Large props (Soups & Stars).
- Cha Cha chicken pot pie (Diners & Daters).
- Egg salad (Diners & Daters).
- Fondue (Big Dreams & Big Apples).
- Romance movies (Backups & Breakups and Girlfriends & Girl Friends).
- Zombie romance movies (Cupids & Cuties).
- Ever since he was a kid, whenever Austin was in trouble, he would always give him his pants even if there was no need to do that.
- Dez wanted to ask Selena Gomez to be in his film Claws Dun Dun Dun as Sally but asked Ally instead since Selena couldn't make it (Filmmaking & Fear Breaking).
- At times, he can be smart, as shown in Albums & Auditions, Fresh Starts & Farewells, Cupids & Cuties, and Critics & Confidence.
- He is the tallest of the four main characters.
- He can spin a basketball on a single finger for a very long time (World Records & Work Wreckers).
- He can tap-dance (Soups & Stars, Parents & Punishments).
- He has a starfish phone in his bedroom (Songwriting & Starfish).
- He likes all the Zaliens movies except for Zaliens 6, which he wishes he could forget (Zaliens & Cloud Watchers).
- In the episode Filmmaking & Fear Breaking, we find out that he always wanted to direct Claws: Dun Dun Dun, ever since he was a kid.
- He has a Tweeter account (Soups & Stars).
- He considers himself a great director, as seen in the episode Filmmaking & Fear Breaking, because he knows how to play with people's emotions.
- Dez has sensitive elbows, as shown in Tickets & Trashbags.
- When he knows something, but isn't telling, he says "uh" five times as shown in Backups & Breakups, when Austin classified his five "uhs" as knowing something about Trish's recent behavior.
- He thinks zebras are fake, and he has told Austin they aren't real (Big Dreams & Big Apples).
- It is revealed in Girlfriends & Girl Friends that he has a large television in his basement.
- He not only loves romance movies, he also cries during them, as seen in Girlfriends & Girl Friends.
- He hates the sound of megaphone police sirens (Tickets & Trashbags).
- It is shown in Rockers & Writers, that he knows the Heimlich maneuver.
- Akin to Ally's dancing, Dez tends to sing badly (Costumes & Courage, Partners & Parachutes, Road Trips & Reunions), but occasionally sings well (Diners & Daters, Glee Clubs & Glory).
- He doesn't know what a meerkat is.
- He has a dog, who he texts (Rockers & Writers).
- Chuck McCoy, in season 2, is revealed to be Dez's biggest rival and throughout the series the two clash.
- In Freaky Friday & Fiction and Spas & Spices, Chuck calls him Dez-Perado, but it's a pun of Desperado, so it's not Dez's actual last name.
- In Princesses & Prizes, he sings the first line of "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" when he shows off his calendar with him as a farmer, but replaces the 'old' with 'Dez'. (MacDonald isn't his real surname, though.)
- Dez's first crush was Glamour Kitty. (Solos & Stray Kitties).
- He doesn't know the order of the alphabet as shown in Boy Songs & Badges.
- He earned the music, recycling, architecture, and life-saving badge as a Pioneer Ranger (Boy Songs & Badges).
- Dez's favorite rock star is Jackson Lowe (Beach Bums & Bling).
- Dez has a sister named Didi, first seen in Family & Feuds as Chuck's girlfriend and later mentioned in Proms & Promises as the girl Chuck dumped for Sun Hee.
- Dez makes amends with Chuck in Family & Feuds although they still clash in later episodes.
- He made a movie about Austin and Ally's friendship in Real Life & Reel Life.
- In Fresh Starts & Farewells Dez, with the study help of Austin, scored a 94 on his biology test, which was higher than Ally, surprising her and Jimmy.
- Dez is found to like the cereals, Crunchkins and Flameos, as shown in Road Trips & Reunions.
- He received a gold medal from the president of the United States in Presidents & Problems.
- In Mix Ups & Mistletoes, it seems that he believes in Santa Claus.
- He thinks that fat suits are cool. (Mix Ups & Mistletoes).
- He has a #1 T-shirt (given to him by Chuck in Mix Ups & Mistletoes).
- He can play the saxophone. (Mix Ups & Mistletoes)
- He can frost a cake very well.
- In Cupids & Cuties, Dez got a girlfriend, Carrie, for the first time ever.
- In turn, Dez was the last Team Austin & Ally member to find someone. (Austin dates Brooke in Magazines & Made-Up Stuff, Trish dates Trent in Backups & Breakups, Ally dates Austin in Partners & Parachutes, then Dez dates Carrie in Cupids & Cuties.)
- His and Austin's favorite comic book is "The Galactic Adventures of the Electric Avengers" (Critics & Confidence).
- Dez met his favorite director, Spike Stevens, in Directors & Divas, when he worked on his movie.
- His last name, Wade, was revealed in Fanatics & Favors. Before then, there have been times when he was going to reveal his last name and didn't. (Family & Feuds, What If's & Where's Austin).
- He is also related to Dwyane Wade.
- He has a secret Austin Moon shrine as revealed in Fanatics & Favors that Austin doesn't know about.
- Dez revealed in Eggs & Extraterrestrials that he has aunt who just got out of prison.
- Despite him making wedding cakes very well, Dez can't seem to make breakfast very well, as mentioned in What Ifs & Where's Austin.
- Dez is bad at keeping some secrets, but good at keeping others. (Proms & Promises).
- Dez is known as a not very bright person but his sister is the exact opposite.
- Dez moved to LA to be with Carrie in Relationships & Red Carpets.
- As of Buzzcuts & Beginnings, Dez will probably not continue studying at film school
- Many fans thought that his last name Was "Hatfield" and the writers revealed on twitter that it was one of the options but at the end they decided to choose the last name of Dwayne Wade. However the writers decided to use "Hatfield" as his middle name.
- He likes purple.
- He is in advanced chemistry.
- He directed a commercial of Armand Bianchi.
If you think about it, not having a surprise is a surprise.
I'm Dez... Just Dez.
You wanna know what my dad said to me? DEZ! STOP TEXTING THE DOG!
Yeah, that look says a lot of words I can't put in the movie, it's a family film.
That's why they call me *whispers* 'The love whisper'.
I think it's more than that buddy. I think you're in love with her.
Sweetie, the adults are talking.
Magic shock finger. Me likey.
I told you I could keep a secret. Ha!
Without love, what's the point of any of this?
You know how Carrie's going to LA? Well, I'm kinda going with her. I'm gonna move out there and attend film school.
No, not the hair!
(in a high pitched tone) But, I like purple!