|“||Somebody, get me my chicken pot pie! I don't care who it is!||”|
— Dez, Diners & Daters
Trish De La Rosa (possible crush)
Dezmond "Dez" is a 15-year-old aspiring director who films everything that he can. He filmed Austin singing Ally's song, Double Take, and posted it online. His best friend is Austin. Dez easily annoys Trish a lot, but he never knows what he does wrong, and the two are currently frenemies. He has shown that he may have feelings for her in some episodes, as he is always nice to Trish. He also filmed the short horror-adventure-drama-action-thriller, Claws: Dun Dun Dun .
Dez is portrayed by Calum Worthy.
Dez is a funny, random, crazy, awkward, sometimes disgusting, clumsy, and quirky guy. He is Austin’s best friend and he also directs Austin's music videos. His weird habit of pulling anything and everything out of his backpack (like a ham, a turtle, an Abraham Lincoln ice-sculpture or jam, etc.) amuses his friends. He really is one-of-a-kind. He has red hair, and often notices when people or things look different, but he can never figure out what has changed. He can eat things that would be considered gross or inedible to most people. In other words, he is mostly in his "own little world." He also seems to be "easy going" sometimes, as he can also be sensitive. He is also shown to be very strong, as shown in World Records & Work Wreckers, when he can spin a basketball, hold three boxes and a birthday cake, at the same time. He is brutally honest whether characters ask him for his opinion or not. He also stated once that he never breaks a promise. Even though he is a bit wacky, he still has his moments where he shows intelligence, i.e. in Albums & Auditions where he explained to Trish and Austin about their misguided anger towards Ally for leaving.
While trying to play a harmonica through a sousaphone, the harmonica gets stuck in an old lady on the other side of the room, but Dez is able to perform the Heinrich Maneuver on her. When Austin is apologizing to Ally, Dez says that he has attempted to 'text the dog', an example of his craziness. Later, Dez records a music video of Austin singing a song Ally wrote. He's a good friend to Ally, Trish and Austin.
Face Puncher comes to get his jacket, Dez autographs his shirt with ketchup, and Face Puncher begins to chase him.
Dez finds Ally's songbook and diary in the fridge, having used it as a roof for his gingerbread house. Then Dez and Austin come up with ways to read it, even thinking of putting it on the ceiling using jam. Austin thinks there won't be time to go to the store, but Dez already has multiple jams in his backpack. When they don't go with the ceiling plan, Dez eats all of the jam, saying he can't believe he did. Dez is later revealed to either be a terrible liar or scared of telling Ally and Trish that he and Austin read Ally's diary.
While Austin and Ally get to know each other better, Dez and Trish find out they too have more in common then they thought; having the same favorite number, and horror movie in common, and decide to become friends. However, when they disagree on a favorite pizza topping, they go back to becoming frenemies.
Dez and Trish get a job at Pirate Frank's fish fry, where Dez has an obsession with deep frying objects (his shoes, Trish's purse, Trish's cell phone), and later the entire restaurant in order for he and Trish to get fired. He is the one that gave Tilly Thompson, the evil blogger posting bad stuff about Austin, pictures to use for her site because her promised to bring them and never breaks a promise, but also the one to catch her when tries to run away dressed as a catfish.
Demonica Dixon wants to replace "Team Austin" with her own director and songwriter, and he is the one to suggest his favorite director, Spike Stevens, to replace him as the director or Austin's videos, which Demonica does. Dez takes being replaced the hardest, and is the second to be replaced in "Team Austin".
Trish is having a Quinceanera (Mexican party celebrating a girl's 15th birthday), and he suggests a couple grand entrances for Trish (which she refuses), and a grand entrance for Austin (swinging in on a jungle vine). After seeing Trish's poofy dress, he too mistakenly wears a poofy suit to the party (he being the only one). He is also the one to ruin Trish's party by swinging in on a jungle vine himself, knocking over the table full of presents, and ruining the stereo station.
Dez and Austin try to get into the Book of World Records by seeing how long they can spin a basketball on their fingers. When the girls reveal only one can get their names in the book, they compete to see who will get in, even beginning to fight over the title, trying to get the other to drop the ball. They both end up forfeiting for the other to win.
Dez, Trish and Austin take Ally to the beach to try to show her the beach isn't as bad as she thought. However, it turns out badly as Dez ends up with a starfish on his face, which he keeps after Austin pulls it off, and he also ends up bringing glue to the beach (to stay up on his surfboard) which Austin mistakes for sunscreen, causing sand to stick to him, and Ally's songbook ends up closing on his gum mountain. He must come save Austin, Trish and Ally when they get stuck in the freezer at the ice cream shop, mistaking Austin's call for help with him wanting him to come "shave Gus".
Dez is hired to film commercials for some stores in the mall, and after Ally mistakenly ruins Ms. Suzy's Soups by posting her "Spider Noodle Soup" picture on Tweeter, Ally has him make a commercial but Ally becomes obsessive over it, and ends up in a giant bowl of soup. Dez re-edits the commercial he, Austin and Trish shot and posted it on her Tweeter, saving Ms. Suzy's Soups. He calls himself her BFF - "Best Freckled Friend".
Austin feels bad for always being late for practices with Ally, and Dez suggests getting her a gift, which happensto be the new guitar at Sonic Boom. He is in on Austin taking the guitar, whom he promises not to tell anyone about taking, running out screaming when Ally comes to accuse Austin of being the mall thief. and also mistakes the angry mob of the Mall Association for "a happy mob that wants to hear Austin sing". They decide to try and catch the thief by setting up a trap, Dez setting up his own trap of a giant glue trap, which he traps himself in instead.
It is revealed that a mean girl, Mindy, has a massive crush on Dez and bullies him into dating her. When Austin accidentally lets Ally's pet bird, Owen out of his cage, Austin, Dez and Trish come up with ways to try and get Owen back without Ally knowing. Meanwhile, Ally gets booted to the back of the large line for the new myTABs, and Dez fakes being a TechTown employee, tricking the people in line to find a golden horseshoe hidden in the mall to win a free myTAB. When that doesn't work, they fake a hail storm, Dez using cheese balls when he can't find "golf ball-sized hail".
Dez films his first big movie,Claws (Dun Dun Dun), and hires Trish as Girl #2, Austin as Troy the Lifeguard and Ally as the cute music store clerk after he couldn't get Selena Gomez. After she declines, he rewrites the part so Austin saves a pretty girl from drowning, Mildred. The scene calls for Austin laying the girl in the sand under an umbrella and giving her mouth to mouth, but because of Austin's childhood fear of umbrellas, he says he can't do it. Austin later conquers his fear and Dez finishes his movie, praising his work and revealing he had always known of Austin's fear. Since Dez is Austin's best friend, he knows all of Austin's secrets without him knowing. He had not used Ally's props, kept changing Trish's scenes, and put umbrellas all over the set of the movie (to scare Austin), to get true emotions out of people.
Mindy is a new manager at Melody Diner, she was first showin in myTAB & My Pet. She tricks Dez into falling for her by giving him some of the Melody Diner's famous Cha-Cha Chcken Pot Pie. Dez figures out that the Cha-Cha Pie had starting taking over his life. He refused to eat anymore, then again, Mindy tricked Dez with the famous egg salad. In this episode it is shown that Dez can sing.
Dez learns about that the famous alligator in the Everglades named "Big Mama" that has never been filmed on tape. Dez decided to go looking for Big Mama with Trish. He finds a small alligator that he names "Baby Gator". Baby Gator follows Dez to the house boat because he had chicken and steak in his pants to keep his pants cool after the power outage. A larger alligator shows up and scares everyone. Dez figures out it's about Big Mama, and tries to film her, but fails. At the end, Dez shows everyone the film he had made for film class. Trish found out that it was a monster movie about her, and she loved it. Trish and Dez shared their first hug in this episode. The hug made Austin and Ally walk away in fright.
After Austin's surgery, Dez tries to help with Austin not talking. He even goes to the extent of screaming for him after hot soup spilled on Austin's lap. Yet, the handshake between the two cause Austin to speak too soon.
Dez is the only person who knows that the music school Ally was accepted to is in New York.
Dez dresses as Austin Moon for his Halloween costume.
Ally thinks that he and Trish were dating. He auditioned to be Austin's back up dancer by tap dancing.
Dez jumped off of the bridge along with Austin and Ally.
He traveled with Austin, Ally, and Trish to New York for Austin to preform on Times Square.
Austin and Dez are Best Friends.Dez has also directed Austin's video, and right now is his director. Dez and Austin hang out a lot. They have been through everything, thic and thin. In Ticket & Trashbags, it mentioned that Dez would often give Austin his pants in tough situations. (See: Daustin)
Best Freckled Friend
Dez and Ally aren't seen hanging out much but are sometimes seen to be interacting. They seem to be really good friends. In Soups & Stars, he tells Ally he is her BFF - "Best Freckled Friend." (See: Delly)
Trish and Dez seem to be frenemies, but are still somewhat friends. They are both fans of the Zalien series. They don't interact well with each other, as Trish is very mean to Dez, and Dez is a bit scared of Trish. They might secretly have feelings for each other. (See: Trez)
- When Dez was younger, he thought his teachers called him "D+" but, that was his grade.
- He is the only main character whose last name has not been revealed yet.
- He thinks that everyone calls him the Love Whisperer.
- He is a very good chef. Austin considers him to have "mad cooking skills".
- He is a big fan of the rapper Shiney Money. He even carries a poster of him in his wallet.
- As of the most recent episode he has been obsessed with the following:
~Zaliens Films (except for Zaliens 6, Zaliens & Cloud Watchers)
- ~Deep-frying everything at Pirate Frank's Fish Fry (Bloggers & Butterflies)
- ~Cha Cha Chicken-Pot-Pie (Diners & Daters)
- ~Egg Salad (Diners & Daters)
- Ever since he was a kid, whenever Austin was in trouble, he would always give him his pants even if there was no need to do that.
- He can sometimes be very smart, as shown in Albums & Auditions when he told Trish and Austin that they were only angry at Ally because they didn't want her to leave.
- He is often shown to be clueless.
- He dreams of being a huge director someday.
- He is the tallest of the four main characters.
- His favorite pizza topping is mushrooms.
- He has a Gingerbread House in which all his gingerbread men live but Trish ate most of them.
- He can spin a basketball on a single finger for a very long time.
- He can apparently play the piano and trumpet and many more instruments.
- He likes all the Zaliens movies except for part 6 in which his opinion "I wish I could forget that".
- In the flash-back of the episode Filmmaking & Fear Breaking, we find out that he always wanted to direct Claws: Dun Dun Dun, ever since he was a kid.
- He can tap dance, as shown in Soups & Stars and Parents & Punishments.
- He has a Tweeter account.
- He considers himself a great director, as seen in the episode Filmmaking & Fear Breaking, because he knows how to play with people's emotions.
- He has directed a movie entitled Claws: Dun Dun Dun which became the reason he was invited to the Miami Film Festival.
- Despite being often shown, to be either, slow, oblivious or not very bright, Dez is works quite well with technology, such as cameras, computers, video editing and radios.
- He thinks "walking in your shoes" is a literal phrase.
- He is shown to love romance movies, as seen in Backups & Breakups.
- Dez has sensitive elbows, as shown in Tickets & Trashbags.
- Dez is a fan of "The Bee Whisperer", as shown in Crybabies & Cologne
- In Rockers & Writers, he and Trish get off to a bad start when he sprays her with foam. When she shocks him with her finger he responds by saying: "Shocky finger, me likey!"
- He gets very confused easily and takes things very literally.
- Has a Gerbil.
- His dreams never came true.
- He thinks zebra's are fake, and he has told Austin they aren't real.
| To view the Dez gallery, click here.