|“||That is way too many halves.||”|
— Jimmy in Albums & Auditions
Owner of Starr Records
Jimmy Starr is the owner of Starr Records. He made his first appearance in the episode Successes & Setbacks, and appears in Season 2. He has signed Austin to his label. Jimmy has a son who takes music lessons from Ally and he also has a daughter, Kira, who dates Austin during a part of season 2. Jimmy is a recurring character in Season 2.
Jimmy Starr is portrayed by Richard Whiten.
Jimmy is a very professional man who cares a lot about his business. He seems to be a very strict, moody kind of guy who can also be fun at times. He admires Austin but tries to avoid Dez.
- Successes & Setbacks
- Albums & Auditions
- Costumes & Courage
- Big Dreams & Big Apples
- Ferris Wheels & Funky Breath
- Partners & Parachutes
Jimmy first meets Austin and asks him if he can give him a demo of his new song. If he likes it, he might give him a record deal. Austin accepts, but after over rehearsing the song, he strains his voice.
Team Austin asks Jimmy if they could have a few more days to record the demo and Jimmy, instead of pushing it back, asks for the demo a day earlier. Even earlier, Jimmy comes to see if he can pick up the demo. Without having the demo ready, Austin instead agrees to sing the song live, even when he was not allowed by his doctor to speak a word. Austin sings the song to a success and Jimmy signs Austin to Starr Records.
He throws a party to celebrate Austin's album release.
Jimmy has his annual Halloween party that Austin has been invited to perform at this year, with Taylor Swift. But when Taylor can't make it, Ally steps in to sing with him. However, Jimmy still thinks that Taylor performed.
Jimmy first appears in this episode when he goes to randomly visit his daughter, Kira, who's playing Austin's girlfriend in the music video for "No Ordinary Day". Because of his appearance, Team Austin realize they can't fire Kira, and they then try to freshen her breath up. After that fails, Austin grosses Kira out by faking a drooling problem and gets her to quit. Jimmy then comes in while Austin and Dez are looking for the replacement girlfriend to talk to Austin about his "drooling problem", saying that he's experienced it. He then explains that he too once had a drooling problem. He gets Kira to apologize and say that she'll resume work on the video, and then tells Austin that he'd like Austin to come tell some kids about how he achieved his dreams despite having an issue with drooling. After the kids meeting fails miserably, Jimmy demands the truth, and when Team Austin tell him about Kira's stinky breath, he admits that he didn't realize because when he was 8, he had surgery on his drooling problem which took away his sense of smell, and he tells them that he'll work the breath issue out with Kira later, but insists that the video be ready by that day.
In this episode, Jimmy is texted by Austin to meet him at Mini's, and finds out that Austin and Kira are dating. He starts to make them break up, because he doesn't want his daughter to date musicians, but after realizing that Austin is mature and responsible enough to ask Jimmy as soon as possible, he lets them date- much to Austin's dismay.
- He is shown to be close with Ally considering that when he and her got Taylor Swift to almost sing with Austin, they spent time together.
- He has a daughter, Kira Starr and an unnamed son.
- He loves Austin, "There's my favorite singer star!"
- He does not check his phone when he is busy.
- Ally gives his son violin lessons.
- Jimmy Starr could be seen as a character based upon L.A. Reid, a highly successful music industry man, known now for being Chairman/CEO of Epic Records as well as being a judge for X Factor USA 2011-2012.
- He once had a drooling problem, but when he got surgery to fix it, it caused him to lose his sense of smell.
- His family, not counting his wife seeing as we know nothing about her, seem to be interested in the arts. Jimmy is a producer in the music industry, his son plays the violin, and Kira wants to be an actress and possibly a singer.
- It is mentioned in Partners & Parachutes that he doesn't allow Kira to date any musicians.
- The season 2 episodes he is in after partners & parachutes are,tracks & troubles, sports & sprains,moon week & mentors and future sounds and festival songs.