|“||We just have to find out... whodunit!||”|
"Mysteries & Meddling Kids" is the 11th episode in Season 4 of Austin & Ally. This was the 17th episode filmed of the season. It aired on July 26, 2015. The premiere was watched by 2.2 million viewers.
A mystery unfurls when Ally’s songbook is stolen from the school’s ’70s-themed party. The gang goes in search of the culprit, dressed like the "Mystery Bunch."
The episode starts off with Trish coming in to the A&A music factory forgetting her big news and Ally reveals to Trish she had finished a song for her new album bringing back Ally's original quote "Don't touch my book!" As Trish finally realizes that the reason she came to the music factory was to ask Ally what she is planning to wear to the 70's disco party! Ally states that she doesn't know yet although does reveal Austin & Dez are very excited about their costumes. Austin & Dez enter acting and looking like they are in their actual 70's years making funny jokes and behaving like elderly men.
We see the four friends arriving together as Groovy Goat and the Mystery Bunch (a spoof of the kids from the Scooby-Doo franchise): Austin- supposingly Fred- Ally-portrayed as Daphne- Trish as Velma and Dez as Shaggy! And not to mention Dez's pet goat. As the four friends hit the dance floor with some amazing moves they all return to their tables where Ally finds that her songbook is not in her bag creating a real "Whodunnit" the gang visit the school library, leaving Austin amazed there is such a place, they ask the librarian whether she saw someone suspicious or if she saw someone if Ally's book. When the librarian asks Ally what it looks like Ally reveals all her sentimental emotions of the last 17 years and when Dez steps in and states its a brown book with the letter A the librarian reveals she saw someone running with it, they were wearing a big blonde wig and a white jumpsuit and when the awesome foursome hit the dance floor they see Kimmy, Chuck and Miles wearing the same outfits the librarian described the question now was whodunnit?!
Trish interogates each suspect, but no-one gives in and Chuck is spotted singing Ally's new song that has not been released yet, Kimmy was still hung up that Ally was voted prom queen instead of her, and Trish believes its Miles as it always the quite ones. As Chuck is questioned for interrogation he reveals he needs to use the bathroom before disappearing and making Austin, Trish, Dez, Kimmy and Miles to chase Chuck. Meanwhile, Ally receives as message saying "If you every want to see your boot again come to the photo booth" it then says "Book" then criticizes the auto-correct function on their phone. Ally alone runs to the photobooth where she finds the pages from her book ripe out in the photo booth when she comes and collects a suspicious person locks Ally in wearing a black cloak. Ally is familiar with this person as she says "Its you!" With a gasp. As Austin stays with Mrs Kravitz she makes Austin pancakes keeping him busy, as Trish and Dez go looking for Ally. As Trish and Dez are led to the photobooth where Dez says Ally is trapped in the bin right next to the photo booth, Trish soon comes to more a reasonable answer as Ally's voice is heard coming out of the photo booth. They are desperate to know locked Ally in and as she is about to explain interrupts her with urge wanting to know Whodunnit, the conversation is longer because of Dez's interruptions. Ally reveals its Mrs. Kravitz and they all begin to worry as she is with Austin.
When they confront her for stealing Ally's book she runs away and the awesome foursome have to dance they way through the party to catch her. When Mrs. Kravitz is caught Ally starts to notice that something about her face is strange, and Dez confronts Ally its wrinkles but Trish reveals it's a mask and who was behind it then none other than Brooke, Austin's beloved as she likes to call herself. Brooke reveals that she stole Ally's songbook and framed Chuck, Kimmy, and Miles, then locked Ally in the photo booth so she could become Austin's permanent girlfriend. Austin insists she never would've had a chance, but she insists otherwise. The fearsome foursome make her give Ally back her songbook, and boogie on back to the school gymnasium.
After the dance, Kimmy, Chuck, and Miles arrive at the Mall of Miami food court claiming that they each received text messages promising free frozen yogurt. Team Austin arrives on the scene to apologize to the three of them and explain who the culprit really was, and insisting she was insane. Ally's attitude towards Brooke is somewhat more sympathetic, insisting she was just a woman in love, which wouldn't be difficult if the object of a woman's affections were Austin. Trish promises to buy the three former suspects frozen yogurt, and as they leave they start noticing that Ally is acting strangely clingy towards Austin, making him realize she too was Brooke in disguise. Dez removes her mask, just as the real Ally arrives on the scene, and Brooke runs off, hoping to meet him once again. Once Ally joins them, Dez isn't so sure she's the real Ally, and starts pinching her cheeks to make sure she isn't wearing a mask either.
Dez (imitating Reggie): Cachoinkers!
Ally (reading her cell phone): "Come to the photo booth in five minutes if you ever want to see your boot again." My boot? (phone beeps again). "I mean book. Sorry. Stupid auto-correct." DON'T TOUCH MY BOOK!
Austin & Dez (aging): Waaaaa-ddup
Dez: It's a real whodunnit!
Austin (imitating Chaz): Let's boogie on outta here, my funky friends.
- Can't Do It Without You (theme song)
- Ross Lynch as Austin Moon
- Laura Marano as Ally Dawson
- Raini Rodriguez as Trish De la Rosa
- Calum Worthy as Dez Wade
- Sherry Weston as Mrs. Kravitz
- Carrie Wampler as Brooke
- Cassidy Ann Shaffer as Kimmy
- John Paul Green as Chuck McCoy
- Román Zaragoza as Miles
- The cast had the table read of this episode on March 23, 2015.
- This episode began filming on March 26, 2015.
- This episode is a parody of the classic cartoon Scooby Doo:
- The title is "Mysteries & Meddling Kids," two components of the aforementioned show.
- The gang's 70s wardrobe references the years the franchise became popular.
- They are dressed up like Dez's favorite 70's cartoon "Groovy Goat & The Mystery Bunch" (parody Scooby Doo). Just like Scooby Doo, there are four mystery solvers and an animal which makes up The Mystery Bunch, parody of Scooby Doo's Mystery Inc. The goat parallels Scooby Doo, Austin's character parallels Fred, Ally's character parallels Daphne, Trish's character parallels Velma and Dez's character parallels Shaggy. The villain Disguise that Brooke uses is very similar to Monsters from Scooby doo.
- This episode was shown at the Austin & Ally Paley Fest.
- This episode is part of the Disney Channel WhoDunnit Weekend 2015. This is also the second episode to be a part of this weekend, first one being Burglaries & Boobytraps on 2012.
- This is Kimmy's, Brooke's and Miles' final appearances.
- This is the second episode about Ally's song book getting lost, first one being Secrets & Songbooks.
- It's revealed that Austin has never been to the library before.
- It's revealed that Chuck and Sun Hee are currently broken up in their on again off again relationship.
- Austin gave Ally a bookmark.
- There was a reference to Last Dances & Last Chances, when Austin said that Ally beat Kimmy out for prom king.
- While this is not Chuck's last appearance in the series, this is the last episode that John Paul Green filmed in the series.
- This episode is like an episode from Sonny with a Chance (Sonny with a Secret) because the note that Brooke put in Ally Dawson bag the note with magazine letters is like what Penelope in SWAC used when she put the letter online and Sonny saw it and in that episode of both shows the villain is wearing a mask it is also a mystery episode for both shows.
- ↑ https://www.showfax.com/project_selection.cfm?l=1&t=1
- ↑ https://www.showfax.com/role_selection.cfm?l=1&t=1&p=145498