|“||Guess who's got a date for prom!||”|
"Proms & Promises" is the sixteenth episode in Season 3 of Austin & Ally. The episode aired on August 10, 2014. This was the 15th episode to be filmed in Season 3. The episode got 2.268 million views on its premiere night.
When Ally and Trish insist that it must be memorable, Austin is unsure on how to ask Piper to prom; Ally is concerned that Gavin doesn't want to go to prom with her when he doesn't ask, and realizes he may not be the right guy; when Jace breaks his leg, Trish goes to prom with Chuck so that she can win the dance competition.
Everyone is excited about prom, and how they will be going with their boyfriends and girlfriends. Trish walks in and reveals she doesn't have a date because Jace is in the hospital because he broke his leg. She decides to find another date so she can enter the dance competition and, as long as she wins, win $1,000 so she can visit Jace as a surprise. Dez and Carrie are also entering and are going to compete with her.
Later, at the beach club, Ally, Piper, Carrie and Trish are all talking about prom. Gavin shows up dressed up with flowers to ask Ally if they're okay to give to a sick fan. She gets upset because she thought he was asking her to prom. Austin then sings to Piper to ask her to prom, and she accepts.
In the next scene, everyone is all hanging out in Sonic Boom and saying how excited they all are about going to prom, and Ally is jealous that everyone has a date except her. Trish then reveals that she is going to prom with Chuck, and she asked him because he was the best dancer he could find. Gavin then comes down and asks Ally to prom, but she turns him down.
Ally is then seen in the practice room, and Trish asks her why she turns Gavin down. Ally then says that she isn't sure if Gavin is the right guy for her to be with, making Trish wonder if she will break up with him, and she said she isn't sure, but knows she doesn't want to go to prom with the wrong guy, and decides to stay at home instead.
That evening, everyone is at Sonic Boom again to see Ally before they go to prom. When Austin is being sweet to Ally, by saying she looks great, Piper becomes suspicious about Austin and Ally's relationship, and Trish tells Piper that they used to date, but broke up, making things clearer for Piper.
Later at prom, Austin kept talking about Ally, making Piper even more suspicious and to think that Austin still has feelings for Ally, but he denies it. Carrie's dress is too tight for her to move, so she can't dance well. When Chuck and Trish are talking, Trish notices Jace walking in, making things difficult for her because she now has to deal with hanging around two guys.
When Trish later asks Austin to distract Jace or Chuck so she can hang around one at a time, he convinces Trish to tell them both the truth, but she doesn't want to because she is worried about how they both will react. Trish then tells Austin that he has no idea what it's like to be at prom with one person, when there's another person she'd rather be with. Austin then notices Ally walk through the door, and realizes that he's made a huge mistake - he's meant to be at prom with Ally instead of Piper. Austin then turns around and sees that Carrie is behind him, and when he asks her not to tell Piper the truth because he doesn't want to ruin her night, Carrie almost tells Piper the truth, leaving the episode with a 'To be continued...' ending.
Piper: I'm so excited about prom.
Austin: I know. It's gonna be the most romantic night, ever.
Trish: (Walks into Sonic Boom) Guess who's got a date for prom?
Gavin: (Comes down the stairs and grabs Ally's hands) Ally, I know you've always dreamed about this day, so I wanna make it special for ya. Will you do me the honor of letting me take you to your prom?
Ally: I can't. I'm sorry. (Lets go of Gavin's hand, and runs upstairs to the practice room.)
(Austin and Dez walk into Sonic Boom, holding their tuxes.)
Austin: We rented our tuxes!
Dez: And a llama to take us to the prom!
(Austin sees Ally walk into prom, and he smiles)
Austin: Trish, I've made a huge mistake. I'm not supposed to be here with Piper, I'm supposed to be here with Ally!
(Austin turns around and sees that it's Carrie behind him, much to his shock.)
(Trish walks into the practice room, and Ally is sitting down)
Trish: So what was that all about? For the last month, all you've talked about is Gavin asking you to prom.
(Dez runs into sonic boom)
Dez: Austin, where's the egg?!
- Ross Lynch as Austin Moon
- Laura Marano as Ally Dawson
- Raini Rodriguez as Trish De la Rosa
- Calum Worthy as Dez Wade
- Hayley Erin as Piper
- Cameron Jebo as Gavin Young
- Hannah Kat Jones as Carrie
- Andy Milder as Lester Dawson
- Cameron Deane Stewart as Jace
- John Paul Green as Chuck McCoy
- Various clips from this episode were released online in April 2014, four months before the premiere of the episode (without Disney Channel consent). There were some from the next episode, Last Dances & Last Chances, as well.
- Trish goes to prom with Chuck.
- Ally doesn't go to prom with Gavin, but goes by herself at the end of the episode.
- This is the second episode of the series to end in "To be continued..." The first was Chapters & Choices.
- Last Dances & Last Chances is the second part to this episode.
- It is revealed that Chuck broke up with Dez's sister Didi.
- It is revealed that Chuck has an on-and-off relationship with Sun Hee.
- This marks the third appearance of Gavin, and the second appearance of Piper. It also marks the third appearance of Jace and Carrie.
- The tile refers to everyone attending prom, and Austin promising not to ruin Piper's night after he realizes he's meant to be at prom with Ally.
- Trish mentioned that Austin and Ally had a thing, but broke up. This is the third time someone refers to Couples & Careers. The first time was in Tunes & Trials, and the second time was in Beach Clubs & BFFs.
- A repeat of this episode shown on August 15 got almost the same amount of views as the premiere did (2.267 million views).
- This episode, along with the next episode, was set in either May or June, even though it aired in August, because proms in the U.S. are held in those two months.
- This episode continues the Auslly arc (Twelfth part)
- In Eggs & Extraterrestrials, Dez mentioned Zaliens 8. However, in this episode, he mentions Zaliens 12, which, apparently, was the movie he and Carrie saw when they went on their first date in Cupids & Cuties. It is highly unlikely that the Zalien movies were released out of numerical order.
To view the Proms & Promises transcript, click here.